Insufficient First Aid Awareness in Switzerland
Sadly, the story of the man who collapsed and died in a Valora kiosk at a train station in Switzerland is just the top of the iceberg.
Marcel Schättin of the Interverband Rettungswesen summaries what I’ve noticed here very often: an unawareness of the importance of first aid, and particularly life saving skills, to do one’s best to give a person a chance to survive.
Is it the lack of good quality first aid trainings, is it the lack of media talking about the importance, the lack of the professional organisations raising awareness about the importance? I don’t know. What I do know is that a change is needed. And that I personally teach this in EVERY SINGLE course. Yes, teenagers and young people included. So that everyone understands the difference between a heart attack and cardiac arrest, understand that one CANNOT do ANYTHING wrong when doing CPR, that ANY CPR is better than no CPR. I share some happy stories and some shocking stories: those “wake up” participants and stick in their heads and I hope they will remember them should they ever need to apply their skills.
Read the full Artikel on 20 minuten: Erster Hilfe schenkt man zu wenig Beachtung
Posted on June 14, 2017 by Luitgard Holzleg
This entry was posted in Blog, News and tagged cpr, first aid, first aid training, Interverband Rettungswesen, Marcel Schättin. Bookmark the permalink.